Saturday 19 January 2008

Hanging by a thread .....



In the morning , the first thing I do is go out of my back door usually in my Marks and Spark's fluffy (off ) white dressing gown , across the terrace , under the archway of the stable yard and give the horses their breakfast . As it is a gravel pathway, they hear my footsteps crunch , so before I'm even halfway to the yard , the imperious whinny of Abbey , my first and oldest pony is directing me to her stable Immediately , claiming by right of being Senior Equine, to have her muesli before anyone else . The others always join in after . Bo , Zac's pony , has a very high pitched 'Wheeeeeeee! ' at me , knowing that she's second in line to be fed , mainly as she's next door to Abs. . Lastly , there's always the deep grumble of Remus , my dressage horse with delusions of royalty . As he has a crown and a wave branded on his rump , he feels thoroughly entitled to staff , and only tends to get up just as the breakfast is being brought to his door. More than once , he's eaten it still laying down .


But not today . Today , I get the first yell from Abbey , the second 'Wheeeee !' from Bo , but nothing from Remus . Not only is there no head over the door , but not a sound . This is not a good scenario .


Ignoring the other two , still clad in the fetching white fluffy number ( and suede slippers !) I go to his door , and look over , to find Remus dangling from his haynet by a front hoof . Somehow , between 11pm last night , and 7.30am today , he has decided to wave a front leg in the air , and managed to get it suspended in the strings of his haynet . Not only that , but the breakable string it was tied to , that is designed to break in just such emergencies , has not in fact broken, so I now have a ton of Danish Warmblood hanging by a thread , and looking at me as if to say 'Ooops ' , whilst balanced on the remaining three legs .


Had I been in normal yard attire , I would have had my pocket knife in my jacket , but noooo of course not in my pyjamas. To make matters worse, now he's seen me, he's decided to panic , and try to hop over for some reasurrance , which leads to him using the timber stable wall to take his weight, and which starts bowing out in an alarming fashion . Thinking that there's going to be Danish all over the yard any second , I holler to Ian to get me a kitchen knife , which , bless him , he immediately does , no questions asked , and I slice through the net , releasing his leg to the ground . The string has cut into his hoof , so I call the vet as he is also now horribly lame . Of course , now he's also starving , so I get barged aside in the rush for his breakfast , and decide to get dressed . The slippers are ruined , and the white gown is now splattered with goodness only knows what ..


The vet arrives half an hour later , and pronounces him a lucky boy . As he has very narrow feet , the nylon string had found a crevice in which to wedge itself and caused only minor friction injury . Had he had normal wide feet like most , he probably would have sawn part of his foot off . Two jabs later ( tetanus and his annual flu one which was due anyway , might as well try and save money , hahahahaha ) the vet leaves , telling Remus to be more careful . He grumbles under his breath , flicks an ear in a disdainful fashion , and goes back to his hay , which is now in a pile on the floor .


All I have to do now is await the bill !

5 comments:

Wooly Works said...

Ah the joys of keeping stock! I think you handled the whole thing in a very level headed fashion, but of course, that's to be expected from a horse woman. Keep us posted on Remus' progress and go give your gown a wash, would you?

CAMILLA said...

Oh my goodness Palomino, how worried you must have been when you saw Remus. So pleased that Remus has been given all clear by Vet. Keep us updated as to how your lovely Horse is progressing.

Camilla.xx

Pondside said...

Just catching up, alphabetically down the list! What a way to start your day - lucky that you went out when you did. Did the fluffy robe recover as well as Remus did?

Exmoorjane said...

heck, that must have been scary.. I love horses but am way too lazy to keep them....and now only have a lawn so all possibility has gone. Hope all's well.

Hannah Velten said...

How's Remus? Very late to the blog, but still want to know...my Mum's horse is on stable rest for months following his playing silly buggers in the field and spraining a ligament - her vet bill made her eyes water! Hopefully, your bill was less traumatic...Mootia x