Wednesday 29 August 2007

Norfolk's best kept secret .

We never aimed to live in this area . The house hunting criteria was very precise - somewhere big enough to house 5 and occasionally six children , plus myself , husband and the three horses , hereafter known as the Hay Monster , Her ladyship , and You Little ... without breaking the bank , and somewhere near a train line into Kings Cross so we could get to work . Areas of East Anglia were a complete closed book to us as we quite literally knew no one at all to steer us .

And then one day , hunting on t'internet , I found it . Room enough for us all , three stables plus a spare or two , it just needed 'some finishing ' . We went ,we looked , and we put in an offer . Nine months later , it was ours , and the sagas began ...


I digress , however . The day we turned up , was the day we were adopted by the village . The kitchen was unusable ( filthy) , I was 8 months pregnant so we decided to seek refuge in the pub . Well . It was the typical village pub - as we tentatively walked in , the hush fell . I pleaded for sustenance , explained who we were and we were away . Since then , we've had potatoes dropped off by the sackful ( thought you'd have a need of 'em ) and have been well and truly adopted .

Even our nearest town is the same . Free parking , people who go out of their way to help , even when they don't need to and schools that most people would lie to get their kids into. And yet if I tell anyone where we live , I'm rewarded with a blank look and a 'Where ?'

So where do we live ? I'm certainly not going to tell you !!!

8 comments:

Exmoorjane said...

Crikey, blink for a moment and a new purplecooer pops up - like potatoes in a field! Sorry, couldn't resist. Lovely starting blog...you sound like a very typical purplecoo person (and that is a compliment, trust me!).... Now of course we'll be dying to find out where you live... sounds like you've got your plate full though...isn't it a heck of a commute to London?

Fennie said...

Hallo, Palomino, and welcome. I love East Anglia but live instead on the opposite side of the country in hilly Wales. Lovely blog leaving us wanting to know more. But you'll have to tell us how you combine your police duties with country life some - what - 150 miles away?

Tattieweasle said...

WOW! Got us all itching to know more - we are a terrible nosey lot but fun I hope and big hearted! So Welcome especially as you're my side of the country!

CAMILLA said...

Oh so lovely to meet you Palomino, welcome. Oh it has got me guessing now, you would'nt happen to live in Reepham would you, sounds very much like it, it is where I live in Norfolk.

Your first blog is wonderful, look forward to reading many more.

Camilla.

palomino said...

Wow ! I logged on today with some trepidation having never done any of this blogging business before , and now I feel like a dog with two tails , as Neville the tato man says .

For those of you who asked how we manage to juggle work and home - well, we juggle, mainly. It's 110 miles to work by car - I have to drive in on weekends and on the last night duty so that the other half can get in for early turn - that day involved 90 mins sleep in total ! I found you all from the early days - I used to lurk around the CL forum but was never quite brave enough to join in and so when all the furore happened over the competition , I sort of tagged along behind, and have been itching to join in , but kept sitting on my hands instead .

Thanks for your replies - you've made my day ! Now I just have to work out how to return the compliments xxxxxx

Hannah Velten said...

WOW - how on earth do you cope? Makes me dizzy just thinking about your life! All those children, horses, work - and of course, hubby - let's hope you have time to write your bloggie. I'm sure you are going to entertain us with the goings-on in deepest Norfolk!

Mootia x
(another new purplecooer!)

Exmoorjane said...

VERY glad you stopped sitting on those hands (awfully uncomfortable anyhow!)....

Cait O'Connor said...

My stepson and family live in north Norfolk, we are in hilly Wales, far west from there.
Lovely blog, you already sound like one of us.