Thursday 30 August 2007

Perch 1 - Zachary 0

It's fishing club day today . Zac , my 11 year old son , joined last week , after having been initiated into it by an evangelical fisherman who happens to be one of his friends' dad. Anyhow we heard of the local young anglers club ( as to me and the husband , the only thing we know how to do with fish is eat it ) and enrolled him . Met the organisers who kindly took him over and made sure he was with someone who would help him , and told me to come back in two hours time to collect . Righty ho said I , and made a beeline for the local saddlery ,having unexpectedly gained two hours free time to myself .

Two hours later , I returned to the lakes , to find Zac crouched intently by the side of the water . 'How are you doing ? ' I asked . ' MUM ! You'll upset the fish ! ' Well that was me told . I stood meekly behind , waiting for the shout of 'STOP FISHING ! ' and waited with baited ( if you'll pardon the pun ) breath for the weighing to come round . He'd caught 3 roach and a perch , who managed to catch his hand with it's spines as he tried to unhook it with novice fingers , and the total weight was 7 ounces . You'd have thought he'd landed a fifty pound carp, as he burst through the front door , talking nineteen to the dozen , complete with hand gestures .

One small problem however . The following day , the spiked hand blew up , to tennis ball proportions , and involved an late night trip to casualty at our local QEH . Mind you , even then he managed to acheive a small measure of celebrity as the 'unusual injury of the night ! ' The doctor said to us 'I even googled it , and the only advice I can find on getting spiked by a perch is 'Don't' !

As we got back into the car in the early hours , I said to him ' So, has it put you off going ? ' and received a scathing glance in return . I think an obsession has been born .....

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Palomino.

You have a very interesting life and with five children you have your work cut out!! I have one, eventhough she's autistic, she can sometimes feel like the equivalent of 5!

I hope Zac is okay. I'm afraid I no absolutely nothing about fishing although my husband is very keen. But it sounds like Zac has taken to his new hobby despite the injury.

Looking forward to reading more of your blogs.

Crystal xx

Blossomcottage said...

I think you already knew he was "hooked" before you asked the question, its like horses and riding it gets under you skin and remains there for ever regardless of how many times you fall off, are trodden on, get cold and wet and loose you wellie in the gateway trying to get them in when it is pouring down.
Welcome, lovely Blog.
Blossom

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

welcome and loved both your blogs. would love to see some pics of your part of the world (anonymised if necessary!)

toady said...

Many years ago my brother was a fishing devotee. He used to set off in the dark and come back in the dark smelling very muddy. My Mum insisted that he took me one day and I was bored rigid. Is it a man thing?
Toady

Hannah Velten said...

I think this fishing must be a boy's thing - my brother was about 8 when he caught his first trout (grandparents had a lake) and he was hooked from then on...
I never got taken along - but I remember them gutting the fish in the garage when they returned. Can still smell it actually! Mind you, after what you've just told us I think I was safer playing with the dogs instead!

Mootia x

Exmoorjane said...

Ah bless. This chimed as I'm just reading Salmon Fishing in the Yemen which is, surprisingly, very good. I would never have the patience for fishing but think it's a fabulous sport - meditation AND supper? What could be better. Go Zac, go - but go easy too, eh?

Norma Murray said...

My boys were keen fishermen when they were in their early teens. Though the only fish I ever saw evidence of was an eel. I think they used 'fishing' as an excuse to muck about and get muddy on the river bank. Hope your lads ok now.

bodran... said...

ouchh poor boy, i bet it doesnt stop him though.

Withy Brook said...

Hello Palomino

Fishing is a marvellous sport, whether coarse or fly.
I fished fly as did my parents. My Mother tied a mean fly too. The great thing about it is that it takes you close to nature. This side of it may not appeal to Zac yet, but it will one day.
The book Jane is reading, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen is a great book and you don't have to know about salmon fishing to enjoy it!

Faith said...

Goodness five children and you are a police officer too!How on earth do you manage? You should blog about it!

My father was a keen fisherman. If he was alive I'd have read him your blog cos he would have been interested. Hope Zak's hand is better soon.

CAMILLA said...

Do hope Zak's hand heals soon, my son-in-law is Fisheries Manager here in Norfolk, he has drawn up a schedule whereby youngsters can fish, or learn about fishing.

I admire your ability to juggle around such a busy life-style. I enjoy reading your blogs Palomino.

Camilla.x

Pondside said...

Lovely blog - welcome aboard!

Tattieweasle said...

Mine are just obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine and tractors - seemingly far safer at the moment!

Milla said...

Five Children AND a full-time job with, presumably a fair whack of travelling time. Now I feel deeply feeble. Welcome and all that.

mountainear said...

Hi there. Loved reading both your blogs.

Know nothing about fishing, Fenland or horses, so look forward to reading more.