Saturday 29 September 2007

Showtime

My dad was a practical man. He'd planned his funeral for years, ever since I was about nine years old in fact, so we were left with absolutely no doubt as to exactly the way his send off was to go . The difficult part of it, or so we thought , was going to be getting his wishes carried out . He required nothing less than a cortege of breakdown trucks, ( he owned a breakdown recovery service) , a New orleans jazz band , none of that , in his words 'gloomy music ' , a wicker casket ('I want to sleep in a laundry basket! ') and sunflowers. Lots of sunflowers . Oh, and some smiley faces balloons . And no one to wear black . This was going to be a very tall order.

Or so we thought.

Over the last fortnight, my mum, brother and I have been consistently amazed by people's support. My brother rang each of the local recovery firms, not often known for their goodwill, and each and every one of them provided their cleanest, shiniest and largest truck. It was utterly incredible. The funeral directors were superb, and said 'Leave it all with us ' . I even rang the local police station about parking arrangements , and their reply was ' Do what you need to do, and don't worry '.

The day dawned. I left Norfolk at 7am, in order to be able to see him beforehand, and drove the long haul to Surrey. As I hadn't seen him since he'd gone, I hadn't said goodbye. I went into the chapel of rest, and there he was , tucked up in his laundry basket, wearing his favourite shorts and slippers, white socks pulled neatly up to his shins as they always were , hair flopping over his forehead in the same slapdash fashion, and the pictures of us all tucked carefully under his hands . My brother and I on my wedding day, my mum , Ian , and all the grandchildren , keeping him company into the hereafter . I held his hand, oh so very cold, called him a daft old bugger, and then burst into floods of tears, which is where my brother found me, walking into the room a few minutes later.

Once back at my mums , we found the lawn covered with flowers. So many people he'd known had sent them; rival firms , all the neighbours . The cars turned up, and we climbed in. My mother, dad's two sisters and his last brother, and Jodie . It was only when we passed the breakdown trucks, that we realised what they'd done . Each and every one had a sunflower . They all joined the cortege, and as we turned round to watch, my mum burst into tears and I started to laugh. The road menders, heads bowed ,had stopped all the traffic , and single handedly, my dad had managed to bring south west London to a grinding halt . It was the most incredible thing I have ever seen. Everyone stopped and stared at us, as lights flashing, we trundled gently through the streets to our final destination. Even when one of the company drivers pulled across a main road to ensure the convoy stayed intact, the police going past stopped, and made sure we didn't need a hand.

After the service , which ended in typical Dad fashion with the song 'Don't worry, be happy !' , the smiley balloons were taken from his casket , and placed on the sunlit lawn outside . All the kids each cut a string , sending a smiley face skywards , and we all waved to the heavens .

I think he would have approved .

I love you dad xxx

13 comments:

Pondside said...

What a wonderful send-off....a last gift from your dad to all of you as you carried out his requests. I'd loved to have seen the procession!

toady said...

Your Dad sounded like a wonderful man, and what a send off. Laughter mingled with tears as it should be. When my MIL died it was all very solemn which wasn't like her because she was a very jolly cockney who could smoke for England. It was a bitter cold January day and as we stood around the grave the sun caught the damp brass plate on the coffin and steam started rising. Somebody piped up that it was Dolly having one last fag and all the sadness turned to laughter.
Toady

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

What a brilliant send off . . . what a special day and memory for you all to keep - a final one to add to all the other wonderful memories you have.

bradan said...

What a wonderful way to remember your Dad.

Chris Stovell said...

Oh, that's brought the tears to my eyes.

Suffolkmum said...

So moving - and so glad the send-off was so fitting. Aren't people kind sometimes. He sounds like a wonderful man.

Hannah Velten said...

I read your blog on Friday evening and didn't have time to respond...but have thought about your Dad's funeral several times, what with the lorries, sunflowers and causing London to grind to a halt. What a remarkable send-off for, I'm sure, a remarkable man. Mootia x

Pipany said...

That was lovely Palomino. what a lucky man that you all did it exactly as he wanted xx

mountainear said...

What a send-off. Brilliant, what an out-pouring of love and affection.

Tattieweasle said...

That was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing man he must have been. Wish I'd been in SW London too - it must have been awesome - fabulous send off.
Take care now
TW
PS I love the balloons too.

Anonymous said...

Excellent send off, it would brought a smile to the occasion instead of lots of sadness.

Milkmaid said...

What a wonderful send off, the benefit of time to plan your own is a luxury, my Dad died very suddenly, all in shock me 7 months pregnant, just went along with wicked stepmothers plan, kick myself now, that we didn't do something more 'him', It also ended up being a heartbreakingly sad funeral, no light relief. I have plans for mine already, I agree with your Dad no gloomy music, 'Don't worry, be happy' ace song

Grouse said...

That was wonderful- only just found it. Hope you start blogging more......lovely reads, all.